St. Stanislaus History

1898 Fr. John Kokenge,S.J., collected $1000 to purchase land and put up the structure. Because there were few parishoners the whole Rossville community pitched in to help construct the church.
1899 The cornerstone was laid by Bishop Fink of Leavenworth.  Weekly Mass was now offered and catechism classes were taught on Sundays by two nuns from St. Marys. Parishoners paid pew rent of $3.00 per year if they were able. This was considered quite costly at the time.
1940s The parish had about 25 families. Stained glass windows were purchased for the sanctuary. The Altar Society played an important part in keeping the church going. The ladies were responsible for cleaning the church, buying supplies for the altar, laundering the altar linens and even making some of the priests' vestments.
1967 The house across the street from the church was purchased and remodeled for CCD classrooms.
1971 End of service by the Jesuits. Our area was the first in Kansas to establish a "team ministry". Four diocesan priests lived in St. Marys and served seven area parishes.
1975-1976 A $20,000 renovation project added a brick extension to the front of the church and a full basement . Many materials and labor were donated.
1982 The parish has grown to 180 families from Maple Hill, Willard, Silver Lake, Rossville, and later Delia, necessitating a third Mass per weekend.
1991 Knights of Columbus Council #10755 chartered at St. Stanislaus.
1994 Building drive for religious education classrooms and parish hall.
1998 Dekat Hall was dedicated and the mortgage was paid off.
2009 Receipt of $1.1 million gift from Don & Kathleen Damon for the building of a new church.
2012 The dedication of new St Stanislaus church. The new worship space for 400 people was built near the former church.
   

 

701 S Main St; Rossville, KS 66533